Strings vs. ID
I am currently building a plank making script, and I'm trying to make it a bit more robust, functional and fast. I am also very new to the Script Factory, so I don't necessarily know what I am doing. Currently, I am trying to get the mouse to hover over a particular NPC "if visible", but I must enter a value that is either a string or ID. 

What do these terms mean (I'm assuming ID is the basic NPC ID)? What is a string? Where could I find these NPC IDs? 

Please let me know if you need a copy of the script to help.
A string refers to the name of the entity. The ID refers to the ID of the entity.

Example: Gold is callled “Coins”. So the string is “Coins”. The ID is 995z
OSRS Script Factory
(10-16-2020, 09:02 PM)Project Wrote: A string refers to the name of the entity. The ID refers to the ID of the entity.

Well that's going to make new scripts a lot easier! Is it the exact same as the "Name" option for NPCs?
(10-17-2020, 04:18 PM)Diesal Wrote:
(10-16-2020, 09:02 PM)Project Wrote: A string refers to the name of the entity. The ID refers to the ID of the entity.

Well that's going to make new scripts a lot easier! Is it the exact same as the "Name" option for NPCs?

Yes! Make sure to type it exactly as it appears in game.
(10-18-2020, 03:18 PM)nifty19 Wrote:
(10-17-2020, 04:18 PM)Diesal Wrote:

Yes! Make sure to type it exactly as it appears in game.

i personally like using id over name cause name can cause a endless loop on something else happened to me a few times like in lumby sheep pen, you can use sheep for name but it well try over and over and over to shear that sheep also but id wont let do that cause id is different but name is the same. i learned that id is better and safer for that reason id is specific to a ingame npc/item/etc. but name can be used any where they like no matter the id.